Do you sometimes feel unmotivated, and struggle to get yourself moving to get on with tasks? Do you get drawn in by the temptation to procrastinate?
Sometimes in these situations, it’s wise not to keep pushing yourself to get on with the tasks that you ‘should’ be doing. If your energy and motivation are low then you won’t do the best job of them anyway. You need to take a step back and refresh and re-energise your body and mind. You can do this by choosing easy tasks, or activities that relax you and that you enjoy. Even if you are not getting all the urgent things done straight away, in the long run, this approach will be best for your overall productivity.
Here is a list of activities that I look over when I am feeling unmotivated. I can pick what appeals to me off this list, and it can help to get me moving in a positive direction and build up momentum.
Activities for re-energising yourself
- Go outside – appreciate nature.
- Read (fiction, a reference book, or a magazine)
- Chat to a friend on Facebook
- Tidy / organise my room
- Read personal development articles
- Listen to inspiring music
- Listen to music that I am currently learning
- Read over past notes that I have written
- Look at websites that I have bookmarked
- Pick easy/fun tasks off my to-do list, and do them
- Have a bath
- Watch informative/inspiring videos on YouTube
- Do some cooking/baking
- Clear out email inboxes
- Write down things I am grateful for
- Read over my gratitude journal
- Poi balls
- Tai chi
- Play an instrument, just for fun
These are the kinds of activities that help to knock me into a different (more positive) state when I have been feeling unmotivated. Most of them are rewarding in themselves, and many are useful and productive in their own right. Some of them are things that have many positive benefits, but that I often don’t find time for. Sometimes just doing something totally different can be so refreshing, and set in motion an upwards spiral of motivation.
I hope you find this list useful next time you are needing an energy and motivation boost!